Thursday, January 25, 2007

Socialite Designer - Rachel Roy

Nowadays designers are more like celebrities. Before they are alot more low key, if you are only a fashion magazine reader and rarely watch fashion shows, you probably never know what the designer looks like. But now you see designer's face (even on tabloids) more than you see their design. For Rachel Roy, she is already the star among socialites - when I google her I found that she currently ranked no.1 on Socialite Ranking! This is a popular blog about all the socialites in town, and regularly the 12 judges on the blog will rank socialites based on 4 categories:

1. Personal styles and designer relations (1-20 pts)
2. Press coverage in major publications and gossip columns (10 pts)
3. Appearances and commitment to events (10pts)
4. Hot factor- what makes each of the individuals sizzle with personality (10 pts)

Ok, back to fashion. (I just can't help explaining because I found this site pretty fascinating) To start off, I really like her line of design and her sense of style. She design is really classy, sophisticated, and incredibly chic with the playful volume.

I spotted a friend wearing her short black cape jacket this winter (pic below) and was absolutely adorable. Her design always make women look taller and bigger (in a good way) than they are. And another piece that I think she really did a great job with (and I think it will become the classic piece in her design like DVF's wrap dress and Alvin Valley's dress pant) is the pencil skirt. (and I shared my love of the pencil skirt on "Spring Look") She is always rocking it at parties and shows (pics below) with some gorgeous gem color satin/silk skirt.

To my luck I found her black high waist pencil skirt on sale! I was a little worried that the high waist might not look good on a petite frame, but I figure I could always return the item (good thing it was not on final sale). When the product arrived, I tried it on and it was so chic and stylish - the high waist was more subtle than I thought and the tie on the waist really have an amazing slimming effect. And then all the sudden I remember the image in my photo clipping library - the queen of style Paris Vogue Editor-in-Chief Carine Roitfeld was rocking it. (Please correct me if I am wrong but it looks 99% like the RR one) Now I just have to make mine an inch and a half shorter to fit my proportion and I will be rocking mine as well.

No comments: