Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Couture Couture!

No...not talking about Juicy Couture's "Couture" collection. Its the 2007 Spring Couture that I am raving about. What I found interesting is that as I thought that the real couture stuff are all about concept, and showcasing craftsmanship from the designer's atelier and most of all go wild with it, a lot of the dresses I see are really "wearable" (which might not be a flattering word in the couture world). Like the red carpet ready collection by Elie Saab, elegant and classic silhouettes by Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, and even Christian Lacroix's colorful and flowery collection for the stylish socialites. The most unwearable couture collection is of course by John Galliano for Christian Dior, while the romantic and more serious pieces (in terms of mood and use of color) by Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy comes in a close second.

Although Tisci designed my favorite piece of all (first pic), I can't say I like his overall collection the best. He also picked Irina Lazareanu to wear that stunning yellow gown which I thought was such a stand out (I do have a record of liking models with an exotic face - Devon Aoki for example).

Maybe because I am Asian and have been exposed to Japanese craze for decades, I am not so stunned by Galliano's Geisha/Rurouni(Wanderer) inspiration. However, I think this collection has such flawless executions with the origami-like foldings, splendorous structures, and refreshing colors...I love the look of Shalom Harlow in the origami wedding gown.

On Elie Saab, have to say his dresses are very pretty and glam as always but just not very Couture-licious so to speak. But then again I have to throw in two pictures of my other all time favorite model Ai Tominaga. I loved her Vivienne Tam ad.

humm...realized how choosing the right model for their key pieces is such an important thing? This notion was also mentioned in "Fashion Babylon" (read it!!) except the designer was forced to pick a "hot" model to wear her key piece, which is rather sad.

Ok, was going to continue on but for some reason the blog image uploader is not working properly...so more pictures later! :)

No comments: