Thursday, January 11, 2007

LibraStar's Journal: So what if I am a month late?

So I have disappeared from the blogging planet for almost a month. In the strictest fashion sense my case is closed and I can stop writing now because I haven't been able to keep up with the rest of the fashion bloggers like Ms Susie Bubble and Ms Diane.

But since this blog is more for my own educational/archival purposes, I will continue to share and ramble on.

Recently I picked up a book which was published in Feb 2006 (this is quite important as to see if the material is updated/out-of-date). I think it is the perfect timing for me to read this book now rather than when it was fresh out, simply because rather than going for the juicy gossip and secrets in the fashion industry, I gain incredible knowledge learning about what it is like to be a fashion designer who wants to at least/at most survive while being somewhat nationally recognized. Now that I have more knowledge about the garment making process, what's involve in production, and some friends in the fashion industry. I have to say after reading this book it almost makes me wonder if I should even bother. I totally sympathize with the designer through her ups and downs, and her constant doubt and insecurity about her career. As to many other design career, when money is sometime not the outcome of all your hard work (but instead, a hinder for success), you really have to believe in your work as a form of art and HAVE A BUSINESS PARTNER...like the gay guy in the book who is always energetic (maybe due to intake of alcohol/drug), love socializing with the editors and buyers, help writing your pitch and business proposals while you are working your behind off on the design? And then always good to add a stylist and a stunning model who will be the muse of your design...and that's just the starters.

Anyway, on the lighter note I do lovvveee the gossips and dirty secrets about the fashion industry including certain fabulous fashion designers, models, celebrities...etc. I feel like I am advertising here but I think everyone should read this book and find enjoyment in some ways. :)

No comments: