Sunday, November 19, 2006

LibraStar's Journal: My Sewing Saga

So, I started taking sewing class in Sept. How I found this place is simply by searching "sewing class nyc" and this Sew Fast Sew Easy place came up. It is amazing how much online marketing they have been doing (or how little the other sewing business have been advertising online, since I haven't found any other ones). I even found some ads they have on Craigslist. Anyways, so I went to the fashion district one day to check it out. It was much smaller and hidden than I have expected, and when I went in there was a sewing class going on. I looked around and saw a friendly looking guy who was most likely a gay man (who later became one of my instructor). He came to the counter and I asked him about the sewing classes - I told him that I am planning to apply for fashion school and would like to start learning sewing to prepare for my portfolio. He recommended the beginner comprehensive course (10 sessions, 2.5 hrs each) and told me that I would learn everything I needed to prepare for the portfolio plus more, because fashion school don't teach much sewing techniques to their students. So 5 mins later, I made a $590 dent on my credit card and walked out with a registration receipt and a list of things I needed to buy for the class (sewing notions like big scissors for cutting fabrics, long ruler, needles, pins, tracing wheel, measuring tapes, fuse tape, magnetic seam guide, tailor's chalk...etc.).

It would be better if I had started writing about my lessons when I first started, as there are tons of interesting, funny, and hideous experiences I have encountered. But I guess I could also summarize it and talk about some of the memorable things.

I remember I went to the first class with excitement, also kind of curious as to what kind of people would be in the class with me. I remember when I first went there to register for class, the students that I saw were quite young (in their 20s or 30s). About a few mins later I got to meet them all: they were mostly very young, 9 girls and 1 guy, and that guy also had the same goal as me, to apply to fashion school. There were 2 plus size ladies, and actually I got pretty friendly with one of them whom I think was incredibly funny (especially in stressful situations, i.e. trying the 10th time to wind the bobbins or simply to get the machine to sew correctly). Everyone tends to be at different levels during the class, and because it was such an intense group learning environment, I got to see many different personalities. The instructor (who I think is gay) is humorous and friendly.

In terms of the learning experiences, I am proud to say that I have gone from "what is a bobbin and how to a thread the machine?" to altering a dress that I bought (hemming, and turning a flare dress into a bubble dress - see pic) The class location is also great and I am fortunate enough to be learning in the fashion district, where I can find fabrics, trims and other sewing notions that I needed just a walk away. Another interesting experience was bargaining with the fabric stores. I did have some bad experience when I was sort of harassed by some shopkeepers (I guess not many young asian girls shop around there) and then I made friend with this Indian fabric store owner who gives me a good discount and has a friendly attitude. He later told me that I was actually his first customer.

So this has all been great fun, and I am determined to learn more and start defining my own design concepts. So - since you have scrolled this far down - Here are the "rewards" - I will share with you my humble sewing station in the basement of my home, a little tote bag that I have made and the dress that I have altered (I regret that I haven't taken a "before" pic, but I am going to try to go back to the store and take a picture of the dress later).

Thanks for reading! :)

No comments: