Tuesday, November 28, 2006

LibraStar's Journal: Makeup Bag

My recent project is to make some cute makeup bags. I have a few makeup bags in different sizes, I use one to carry my daily makeup and the rest I would use when I travel around, they are great because I like to pack things in little compartments, like I would stuff one with socks, one with panties, one with some toiletries and a one with pads and tampons.

So the first bag I made was very basic. I used the fabric that I made my tote bag, one long invisible zipper and started sewing away. I wasn't too experience with handling the zipper, so on the right corner you can see the little defect. Also the fabric frays so doesn't look finished on the edge (see I have another reason to get a serger!), and the big problem is that the bag has no body so if I don't put anything inside it will look very saggy. Not the most attractive bag shape although I do like the pattern of the fabric a lot!

Anyway, tonight I made my second attempt to make an improved version of the bag. I figured that I need: fusible fleece interfacing to give the bag body, lining to hide all the edges of the fabric to look more finished. I also improved my skills in dealing with the zippers so this time it's not poking out on one corner like the first time.

This will make a perfect holiday gifts as well! :)

No comments: