Monday, March 19, 2007

Sewing 101: Finding True Bias

Starting my new project. I bought this pattern package which has 2 different tops, a skirt and a flare dress pants pattern. I will be doing one of the top using a red satin fabric...nothing too fancy just want to practice my sewing and study how the construction using a pattern works.

One of the most important lesson is that you really need to layout your pattern on fabric on a "true bias". A true bias makes an angle of 45 degree across the length and width of a fabric, fabric cut on a bias has maximum stretch. Fabric also have something called "selvage" which is the edge of either side of the woven fabric. Lengthwise of the fabric (aka straight grain/warp) runs parallel to the selvages, which has almost no stretch (or "gives") at all; whereas crosswise (aka weft) runs across selvages and has a little gives. These are the fundamental for beginning sewers and as I go on I started to realize how much different fabric influences the "sewability" and out come of the product.

I will be posting my progress :)



No comments: