Thursday, March 22, 2007

LibraStar's Journal: Preparations

Sickness after sickness, it has been draining my energy to blog!
Just want to update on a couple things that I have been doing in my "down time":

1. Attended my first intermediate sewing class! We got our own custom measured skirt pattern which we will be using to make various style skirts (flare, A-line, pencil, bubble, pleats...you name it!) and first we are using Muslin to make the sample pattern. (Muslin is plain-woven cotton fabric that uses to make a trial version of the garment)

2. Fabric shopping craze!! yea well...now I know how people say they use all their lunch money to buy fabric - i think this week i have been using my lunch and dinner money to get fabric! (top pics: the top three I am thinking of making printed canvas bag with brown vinyl trimming; the lower three are some printed cotton stretch fabric, I am thinking of making some asymmetrical dresses using these! see the tibi one)

3. Got lots of beautiful gem stones from M&J trimming! I have been in love with the big gem (since Marni & Marc's inspiration) so now i will be playing with these on my bag designs and clothings!

4. Sew another makeup bag! This is a gift for the person who kindly helped me in the application process! :) There are still more customization to this, which I will be adding later.

5. Realized that I have been needing a lot of trimmings, zippers, buttons, eye & hooks for my sewing projects. It is time to get some kind of organizer for these things! Really love Bit & Bobbins big drawer with those little compartments...

I am so glad that spring is here! We all need to get out of the cold weather soon! Have a sweet weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I am a friend of Kathy's currently living in the Bay Area/working in SF, and she mentioned your blog. I like your artistic direction and design interests. I appreciate all the unique artists/designers that you post about 'cause that's the kind of things I enjoy too. I'm actually moving back home to NJ/NY to pursue fashion again (my first passion)in May. It'd be great to meet up sometime and talk about fashion :) I plan to work on some entrepeneurial efforts on the side (I've also been designing/sewing for 12+ years) while taking classes at Parsons. Ideally I will be working on some startup brands and also sourcing manufacturing from some of my Asia contacts. Let me know if you're interested. Aileen

libraStar said...

would love to talk to you more :)