Thursday, February 22, 2007

Attainable or Unattainable Fashion

Hi my dear blog readers, today I am posting a bit of a serious thought on Fashion. I think this is what everyone who enjoy fashion, love shopping, and aspiring to be a fashion designer, editor or any other profession in the industry should read.

Yesterday I came across this amazing article - "fashion (versus) style" by Bits and Bobbins, all her thoughts are really well put, extremely reflective of my own thoughts on current phenomenon in the fashion industry.

I agree with her on how "Fashion is bad, Style is good" in the sense of being an individual who dresses to express themselves and makes their own statement; and how fashion keeps on creating false and unattainable "beauty" and tell us what is the most "attractive" at the moment. And I can't help but notice how most fashion business runs: giving away swags to celebrities, spending big bucks on ads, runway shows, trying to hit a perfume deal (according to "Fashion Babylon" this seems to be a major savior in all fashion business), and last but not least - trying to reach the mass market by collaborating with target, H&M, Adidas...etc.

The phenomenon leads me to think that fashion business IS responsible for global warming - the pollution from the factory production process and the disposal of clothing at a rapid rate due to the insane trend changes (which H&M, Mango, Forever 21 will then replicate and mass produce). Also, it has created a major problem in our society - when is enough really enough? Maxing out on credit card(s) isn't all the uncommon among the young working force or even some teenagers who somehow got a hold of it. Even more saddening is that I just read another article from Hong Kong there are a bunch of teenagers who would use their body to trade for money, in order to get the newest and latest brand name goods. This happens in many other cities, because the media gave us the message that fashion is directly associated with glamor, social status, the attractive factor.

I enjoy shopping as well as making my own creation, mixing and matching old and new. I give in too easily sometimes on things that I tried on and looked good on me. But I think it is important to give a second thought on the environmental issue as well as being more responsible with ones own finance when being exposed to all the attractions while shopping.

And in the perspective of a fashion designer, I think it is very important to keep in mind that which fabric are more environmental friendly, what kind of production process will not cause pollution, and how to mix in used elements (like vintage items) into the design. I also think that it is important to educate consumer on what kind of fabric are used on the garment and how to take care of the garment so they would last longer.

Another great lesson for me. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see where you are coming from with this. However, as discussed, it is a bit radical as a self confessed shopaholic =p to sinlge handidly blame the current global warming effects simply on the fashion industry. Ok, fashion retailers will have a carbon footprint from production to logistics, to everything the company does (PR, Sales, Marketing). And in some aspects, the quicker lead times to market, and the sheer volumes that mass retailers supply will have a negative impact on the environment. However, whilst the fashion industry can (and some retailers are) do their bit, we have to turn the index finger around and point to ourselves. (No I am not going on about how we can all do our bit for the environment about lightgbulbs, tv's on standby etc) What I am saying is that we as consumers of the 'fashion industry' are creating this demand. Consumers expect new things, consumers expect quicker leadtimes, consumers expect more accessibility, consumers expect the fashion industry to deliver. Until the consumer starts taking the environment into consideration during their purchase decision, then sadly, this is the way it will stay. Again, just a quick thought =)