Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Norma Effect

I have been meaning to post this but was holding back by my workload recently. Anyways on my kind of recent trip to Vancouver I discovered my new interests in Everlast by Norma Kamali. She is a FIT alum who created a sensational sleeping bag coat in the 70s (wore by Chrissy Turlington here) which does make quite a statement that she is not just creating everyday casual wear, but casual wear made out of real silk parachutes material and gym jersey clothing that can be worn in 30+ ways. Kamali is experimental with her fabric while keeping her design functional and sleek.

She has made a subtle but captivating come back with her new line with Everlast. My first encounter with her design was in this nice boutique store in Vancouver downtown, Jonathan & Olivia, a sleek black turtle neck 3/4 sleeves dress, which looks really demure and reminds me of those sexy wetsuits for surfing, then i found the stunner point - it has a full open back! I quickly tried it on and it looks even more amazing on the body. The polyester material gives the right amount of stretch and weight, which hugs the body perfectly. There was no way I could resist the dress even though I had to go broke and sell my older clothes on ebay. ;)

There are some other design which I found intriguing, such as the green one shoulder dress and the kimono sleeves one shoulder dress below. There are certainly not everyday dresses but they are so unique and stylish.



No comments: